Monday, October 7, 2013

Last warm days....Short Delaware trip - 10-06-2013

Sunday afternoon was close to 80 so I could not miss the opportunity for a cruise down the Delaware from Frenchtown to Lambertville. On of my favorite trips as it is always different based on the water level and weather.

This day was no different. I took a very leisurely paddle down the river in one of our Olde Town Loon 120 kayaks.  The river was very low...roughly 2 feet below normal, but I can't tell for sure since the USGS sites are all down due to the Government shutdown.  The weather was mostly good except I did get rained on just north of the I-95 bridge for a bit.  I saw a few fishermen and one fellow kayak-er, but at this time of the year, the river is pretty empty.

 As I passed near I-95, I passed a fellow who came down for a swim. He said that he couldn't pass on the opportunity to swim in the river in October. It was really nice and warm for October.

Interesting, there were a lot of rapids and white water (nothing major) due to the river being so low. I really made for a fun trip. Going through the wing dam near Bull's Island there must have been at least 2.5 foot waves. Pretty cool. I told my daughter Justine that she missed a good cruise.

 I did get a bit soaked as it rained on me while I waited for my pickup, but hey..I was boating so water is to be expected. I wonder if this will be the last cruise of 2013...I guess only time will tell.

 Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments "G-rated"